PLEIN AIR PAINTING WORKSHOP
FRIDAY, JULY 17TH 4PM-6PM
Join noted local artist Dawn Sutherland at the Arboretum for an evening outdoor painting workshop! Dawn will give instruction on selecting a scene, principles of composition, techniques of creating depth and distance in your painting, color mixing and much more.
Be prepared to take plenty of notes in your sketchbook!
Bring a sketch pad, approximately 4”x6”, a soft drawing pencil, and portable painting gear. Weather permitting, we will likely be walking some distance to our painting site, so comfortable shoes, a bottle of water and snack, and insect repellent if you wish.
$25 non-member/$20 members
SATURDAY, AUGUST 1ST - BEGINNING BEES, HIVES AND HONEY
9AM - 3PM at the Arboretum
In this introductory class, learn about:
• The daily life of a bee
• The bee’s vital role in pollination
• The decline of bees and how we can help them
• Different types of hives available
• Where to acquire your first bees
• Required equipment for small scale beekeeping
• Informative handouts and literature on beekeeping.
$75 non-members/$65 members - Saturday Class only
SUNDAY, AUGUST 2ND - ADVANCED BEEKEEPING
9am-3pm at the Arboretum
In this advanced beekeeping class learn about:
• How to set up a hive
• Inspecting a hive and what to look for (bee suits are provided)
• How to winter your bees
• Health issues that could arise, and treatments for them
• What and when to feed your bees
• Interact with a working hive!
$150 non-members/$125 members - Saturday and Sunday Classes
Please contact Tom Shellberg with any questions:
email@example.com | 480.332.3668
COCONINO MASTER GARDENER SERIES
Topics that make a difference for YOU!
The Coconino Master Gardeners and The Arboretum at Flagstaff announce a new lunchtime lecture series beginning January 27 at noon. Programs are held at the Coconino County Extension Office from noon-1pm on the 4th Tuesday of every month through winter and at The Arboretum at Flagstaff during the summer.
Topics range from growing tomatoes at high elevation to climate change and integrated pest management. Programs from January through April include:
- July 28: Integrated Pest Management, Will Gerald (at the Arb)
- August 25: Adaptables, Ornamentals and Invasives (at the Arb)
The Master Gardener program is a nation-wide certification program offered through the Cooperative Extension network for those interested in learning more about specific gardening and horticulture needs in their geographic areas. The Coconino Master Gardener program emphasizes the needs of high country gardening. Master Gardener Training is offered in Flagstaff twice a year. Visit http://extension.arizona.edu/coconino-master-gardener-program for more information.